Started the day off by Nervously rehearsing and sipping hot T2 Apple and Cinnamon to clear my throat (anyone whos a T2 lover (y)). I was pretty nervous already and i could hear it in my voice (Noooooo!!).
Read my facebook wall of supportive msgs and.. Got changed.
Major issue when deciding what to wear to a YG audition. I'm a shorty (at 170cm) so i know i have to wear something that will make me look taller than i really am. Note: Height = Good. So skinny jeans it was with 1 inch heeled boots (yes.. it was necessary), my baby milo tee (which i wore to the 2011 Kpop festival) and my rather expensive.....(bargain hunter) Tarocash shirt. And to top it off, sunnies. you know, just to look the part LOL.
Well, with that over and done with, nervously left the house to the station to get the 10.23 train to Chatswood.
Man, it was the longest trip ever! (not really) I was just THAT nervous...
By the time i got there, it was 11.01am. Time to find "The Civic Pavillion". I'd never been to Chatswood until today, so it was a new experience.
FINALLY reached the building and glanced at the beginning of the line.... They made the queue go around the outside behind a wall, so i wasnt able to see the full extent of it. I was so freaked out I couldn't even join the line!! O.O (yes, i'm such a chicken...)
MAN. I WAS LITERALLY FREAKING OUT!
I called my friend to see if he was on his way yet and he said 20min. (He was one of my support team xD). And, i needed moral support, so i'm glad he tagged along to keep me company. Note: its also good to have close friends there with you at an audition for moral support).
When he finally got there we went to the side of the building, where we joined the line. Looking back, it looked like we would be there forever and they had only begun calling the 100+ numbers.
We were standing about 1/2 way around the building, when this girl came around with this list and told ppl who were NOT auditioning to stand on the other side of the road. Nooooo, there goes my support team of 1 xD. Never the less, it was up to the queue to provide comfort and i gotta say, there is alot of support in these lines, you just have to talk to people :) I met Chloe and John who were both great, friendly and supportive fello YG auditionees [Hey guys!!! (if ur reading this)]. :)
At this point, we were freaking out. Me more than others i think LOL. We had to go into the main room to hand in out registration forms and to formally sign on and recieve our ID stickers.
SO, I got push ahead from audition number 321 to...242 (and Chloe to 243) NOT BAD YG!!
As we both enter the main hall. Look, you can see Chloe's Blonde hair. As for me.... the top of my head LOL
From then on, the process was just us playing musical chairs whilst one after the other enter THE HALL... Du Du DuHhhhhhh AHHHHH! None of us could see inside the room, so we didnt know what to expect. As it drew closer and closer both of us were getting really nervous and began sculling tea and water like mad men.
And finally. It was time.
The Audition room was a really massive hall with just a table in the center, one YG talent scout, a camera-man, and another person doing the paper work.
We didn't know this before, but actually there are 5 seats inside for auditionees to wait their turn. So we'd get to see and hear each others performances. >>I KNOW.. MAke it anymore Nerve racking guys!!
Note: I noticed even though the e-mail said we get max 5min each to perform, everybody was getting stopped at around the 30second mark, i'm guessing becasue of the large numbers that they had to watch and hear.
Gotta say, the 2 girls that were ahead of me were really good, one sang The Wonder Girls "Nobody" and the other, a song by Navi which im unsure of the name. That made me even more nervous. I just prayed that when i had to get up, i would still be able to sing something without it sounding really, really crappy.
Then, it was finally my turn... strangely enough i felt less nervous than i thought i would be. Singing for the first time infront of people i've never met before is no easy feat. So, i walked up there, to the middle of this great hall and stood on the "x". I was just awkwardly standing there looking at the people behing the table because they didnt say or tell me to do anything, until i asked "do i start??"... o.o that was weird....>.>
So, finally I got to sing!!... Thankfully my nerves were fading sort of, so i was still able to deliver a somewhat decent attempt. (although i thought the first few lines were a little shaky, but then again everyones was. Note: its a really good idea to close your eyes to get into the moment of the song (it also distracts from staring/juding eyes; Haha)
After about 30 seconds the lady stopped me. Like everyone else, she didnt say anything. But she smiled, so maybe thats a good sign??
So, i went back to the 5 chairs at the side of the hall to wait for Chloe's audition. She sang Beyonce's "Listen". No easy feat in singing such a powerful ballad. She did a great job! Not alot of people can pull off a Beyonce number, but she certainly put in a pretty good effort.
With both of our auditions over, we exited the hall via the back entrance. OMG. The feeling was exhillirating!! The adrenelin rush you get is amazing! Whilst we were leaving the main hall, the crew at SBS PopAsia were there to interview us both on our audition experience. So you never know, we might be on the PopAsia Show on Sunday morining!! Haha.
With all that over, both of us sadly parted ways :'( but had really enjoyed this YG audition experience together!
~~~~
So, that was the day that I had my Very FIRST Auditon for anything and i have to say, i will defintily be doing this again. Anyone reading this and is having doubts about whether to audition or not, you should definitly try out. Its an experience that has to be had. Just do it for yourself. Its all about achieving a personal goal for yourself and well, for me, its ticking off one more thing on my bucket list! And you never know, maybe something good will turn out of it. The only way you'll know is auditioning!!
After Audition madness with Shaun the Sheep
xD





Hello! thank you for writing this! It's really helpful!
ReplyDeleteDo you mind if I ask some questions?
I will be at the YG audition for LA in July but I'm really nervous and I have a lot of questions!
1. How many songs should I prepare?
2. how long should my singing part be?
3. I dance. A LOT. 12 years of competitive dancing, BUT not hip hop. I can do jazz, lyrical, and ballet. I can do some hip hop if someone gives me a hip hop combo i can do it. I cant not freestyle hip hop for my life. Should I prepare a hip hop dance or a lyrical one (lyrical is my strongest)?
4.Also how long should the dance be?
5. What kind of song should it be? I've been thinking about doing Beyonce's Halo (I know... know one can beat Ailee's version, but i didnt think i sang TOO badly) or Black and Gold by sam sparro
6 What should I wear? If I dance lyrical style then I'll need clothes I can move in.
7.After sending in you application, does YG send some kind of confirmation email?
8. What kind of shoes should I wear? Again if I do lyrical dance I usually dance barefoot, in socks, or a special kind of dance foot wear called half soles (I dance best in these)
Looking at it lyrical dance isnt looking like such a good idea, but it's my strongest point!
Any tips/advice/suggestions/personal experiences is greatly appreciated thank you!!!
Hey Unknown!
DeleteWow, so many questions, well
I think you should prep one song. Remember that YG is generally looking for hip-hop/rnb artists, so song choice is important.
As said, they only gave each person about 30seconds, but if you have the "IT" factor, then they will let you go on for longer.
I'm sure that you can do any dance you want, as long as you can sing well whilst you are doing it! Rememebr that you have to sing and dance at the same time! They don't let you do each separately :)
Wow, Black and Gold (Aussie Artists FTW!) hehe Sing whatever you feel most comfortable singing and which relates most to you.
Clothes; not your trackkies xD SOmething presentable
Yes, you get a confirmetion email with your audition number, although it will probably change on the day when you get there. They moved mine wayy ahead of what it should of been.
All other tips and tricks are posted somewhere on the blog posts, i think i labled them by "Note:....."
Good Luck! If you make it, rememebr to come back and comment!! :)
At which time where you done? :)
ReplyDeletehow long did the whole process take from like right after you got there to the end of the audition?
ReplyDelete